This article will cover the behaviours of panels in the various item states in an Enterprise Solution. To learn more about how to add panels and configure the content, please refer to the other articles on panels.
The 4 item states are as follows:
- Local – When an item is local, it means that the item “resides” in the story and is ultimately owned by that story. Local items have a black border when hovered over.
- Shared – Items can be shared with other stories in an Enterprise solution and they have an orange border when hovered over.
- Inherited – Items can be inherited from a template to working stories and they have a green border when hovered over.
- Dynamic – Items can be dynamically filtered into an Enterprise view as the result of a filter query. These items will have a pink border when hovered over.
Each item type will be covered in its own section regarding how its panels behave in an Enterprise Structure.
Local items behave the same as items that are not in an Enterprise Structure; the panels that are created (either Globally or Item-specific) will be displayed when the item is opened (unless set to hidden).
When an item is shared into a story, there is a vital setting in Story Setup which will determine how the panels will appear in the story.
The Shared item panels drop-down provides two options:
- Same as Source: This means that the panels that are included in shared items are either the Item-specific panels or Global Panels that have been edited at the item level (e.g., a Global Video Panel to which videos have been added at the item level will be shared, but not a Global Panel to which the video was added at the Global level).
- Hide by Default which will hide any additional panels apart from the 4 default global panels.
To summarise, in order for global panels to be shared with other stories, the setting must be set to “Same as source”, and a modification must be made at the ITEM LEVEL and not at a Global level.
When panels are added to a Shared Item in the shared story, they will not appear in the source story, but remain local to the “shared” story.
If a panel is added at a template level and inherited (if allowed) to the local story and story the item is shared in, the panel will appear in both stories irrespective of an edit being made at an item level.
For inherited items, there is a key setting in the Story Setup which will determine the behaviour of the panels in the Enterprise Structure as seen below:
When a global panel is made at a template level, there is an option to determine if that panel should be inherited down or not.
When marked as “Inherited Down”, this panel will appear in the stories that inherit from the template, and conversely not be inherited down when the box is not checked.
Note: This feature refers to SharpCloud versions 9.1.0116 and later
Dynamic Items are items that are filtered in using the Enterprise Filter. These items will be indicated by a pink border when hovered over.
The panels that are included in items filtered in via an Enterprise Filter are any global panels that exist in BOTH the story where the item was created and the story into which it is filtered, or global panels that have been edited at an item-specific leve in the item’s source story.