Note: Parts of this feature are only available in SharpCloud v9.2.0325 and after.
To create a Form, you must be either the Story Owner or Admin.
To create a form, firstly click on the Story Setup dropdown on the Toolbar in the top left corner of your screen as shown below. From here you can select Manage Forms, where you can create new forms or make amendments to existing forms.
You will now be presented with a Manage Form window as shown below. In this window it provides you the ability to Create New Form or make amendments to existing forms.
Creating a Form
- From an open story, click the Story Setup Dropdown in the toolbar (at the top left of the screen) and click “Manage Forms” to open the Form Dialog box.
- Click the Create New Form button (as pictured below).
- From the form dialog window, you can amend the fields that are on the form and the requirements each field has. This is covered in “Editing an existing form” below.
Done! This is how you can create a new form to capture ideas in multiple ways and create new items using a form.
Editing an existing Form
By default, each new form you create will list Name, Description and Category properties for inclusion on your form. It will also include the Publish property, which you can set to true or false.
You can select which attributes you wish to have included in the form, by pressing the Select Fields to show button in the middle of the dialog box.
Whilst you cannot remove the default properties (Name, Description, Category, Published) from the form, you can specify whether and how they are displayed to the user. By selecting “Hidden”, this means that the property will not appear on the form. This allows you to predetermine the value for some properties if you wish. For example, you might select the category you wish the items generated from the form to go into, and then set this field to Hidden so no one can change what category their submitted items are assigned to.
You can also choose what properties are Required to be completed, excluding Name and Category as these properties must be included when generating an item. Additionally, the Category property must have a default value selected from the list of existing categories, as default it will be the first category in the list.
Default Values can be given to any other property you include in the form. For example, in the Description field you could prompt the user by entering a default value of “Keep it short and to the point” or “(In 5 words or less)”.
All properties displayed on the form can be given a Display Name that better helps convey what information you are wanting from the user. For example, you may want to change Name to “What’s your idea?” and Description to “Give a few more details”. This allows you to personalise the context of the form that fits your needs.
Previewing your Form
Previewing your form can be done by clicking on the ellipsis (3 dots) and selecting Open form in new window button as highlighted below. This will generate a window which will show you how your form looks to other users. This window will also contain your form’s unique URL, which you can then share to those who will be creating items using the form.
At the top of the form, it indicates what action the form is being used for, in this case, creating a new item and not editing an existing item.
Setting Form Access
Before sharing your form, set your access level using the Allow Anonymous and Allow Viewers checkboxes.
Sharing your Form
Sharing your forms can be done in 4 methods:
- Users that have Admin permission on the story can access the form through the toolbar and can submit the form(s).
- Users that have Edit or Admin permission on the story can access the form through the SharpCloud dashboard under the “Forms” tab.
- Accessing the URL for the form, for it to be sent out to a few or many users. Remember to set what user type (Anonymous, Viewer or only Edit/Administrators) when setting up the form. The URL can be obtained by the Form Pop-out or QR code window, both accessed using the 3 dots highlighted in the image below.
- A QR Code can be generated and displayed on the screen with a link to the form if that needs to be distributed. To generate a QR code, click on the ellipsis at the top of the form and click “Show QR Code” as shown below.
Done! You have now successfully shared your form in a method that suits your requirements to start capturing ideas to generate items in a story.