What are Categories? Categories are a fundamental dimension of your story. They give items their different colors and also allow you to control at a global level what content (panels) you want to be displayed when any item in that particular category is opened.
Categories are used to separate items into distinct groups or entities. It is possible that your story will only need one category but typically most stories will have several categories that distinguish entities such as projects, people, trends, technologies, objectives, products, programs, value streams, capabilities etc.
There is no limit on the number of categories you can create in your story. Once created, categories can be filtered in and out of the various views in your story.
Sub-categories can be used to sub-divide the items in one category. They are specifically useful as part of a roadmapping process, and can be displayed on the axes of some types of views (grid, layer and timeline view). You can also auto-create them when you paste data into the data grid using the format Category.Subcategory for the values you include in the Category field.
Saving your changes
Save the changes you have made to any of the settings within the Story set-up screens with the OK button or cancel all changes. To undo the set of changes click the undo button on the toolbar.
From this screen you can:
- Add, rename, reorder, deselect or delete categories
- For the selected category, you can:
- Choose the color for each category that will be used on the outer face of each item and (unless changed) for the panels inside.
- Choose the text color for text on the items in each category and choose whether the images assigned to items in the category are treated as transparent images by default.
- Add, rename, reorder, or delete sub-categories